Love Does Not Guarantee Success
- Words of Affirmation – some people feel love through words of encouragement. Tell them how you appreciate them; this may refer to their personality, something they did, or their appearance
- Acts of Service – for these people actions speak louder than words. Find the areas that they would like things done and show your love by doing them.
- Receiving Gifts – gifts can show love to some because they are evidence of the fact that you were thinking of them. Make note of the things they like and enjoy. The gift doesn’t have to be expensive to show you care.
- Quality Time - some people need moments your undivided attention to feel loved. Undivided attention tells them I love you and I want to be with you and only you.
- Physical Touch – to a person whose love language is touch, appropriate physical connection speaks volumes.
Prepare to Forgive
However, your partner likely isn’t the only one causing offense. When we discover our actions hurt the one we love, we must make the intentional choice to not do it again. The words “I’m sorry”, “Please forgive me” should be followed up by sincere efforts to change.
By the Couples Clinic
The Vanier Institute of the Family “By the Numbers: Separation and Divorce in Canada” (Dec. 2013) Retrieved from http://vanierinstitute.ca/resources/family-facts/
Chapman, G. (2010) Things I Wish I’d Known Before We Got Married. Chicago, IL: Northfield Publishing.
I. Ekeopara, Personal Communication, July 17, 2016.